Friday, January 7, 2011

Return of the Friday

The week went by pretty well considering I was coming off a long holiday and often that will make a week back at work long indeed. All kinds of stuff to talk about tonight so here we go. I will press on even though I am guilty of many poor blog issues as per The Reformed Broker template but I am small time!

Trading Time
I have been using the iBankCoin model the PPT for this week and it has plenty of features that are great. Formerly I would screen stocks using various online tools and my eyes, but now things are much easier. One of my favorite types of screens in an uptrending market is too look for oversold stocks (technical or other) that have high institutional ownership. The theory is that big money will put more out to "defend" a stock they own a bit of. At least that's what I observe. Finding oversold stocks in this market is next to impossible of course, but you do what you can.

Two stocks came up last night and I really liked how the setups looked. I was attracted to:
EW at $78.81
NFLX at $178
I know, NFLX! I never said I was just going to buy metals! This is what is called trading, not investing or making a macro call. I had an issue with my brokerage through Bank of America buying EW but got is squared away and I was in NFLX at the the above price. I am looking for a nice bounce short term (5-7 days) that I hope will garner 10% wins on each. Not investment advice of course, I tend to suck at this stuff. I will update later on.

NFL Wild Card Weekend
The best time of the year is NFL playoff time! I love it. Here are my picks:
New Orleans Saints 34, Seattle Seahawks 20
Indianapolis Colts 27, New York Jets 24
Baltimore Ravens 23, Kansas City Chiefs 17
Green Bay Packers 31, Philadelphia Eagles 28
These are tough games to pick and foul weather in Seattle may be an issue for the Saints as well. Who knows?

Friday Night Entertainment
After a long hiatus, Friday Night has returned!

Did You Know?
-In "Return of the Jedi" Luke's lightsaber was to be blue but when shown against the desert backdrop in the film's opening fight scene on Jabba's barge, the blue blade was hard to see against the bright blue sky. Hence, the green lightsaber!
-Plants, insects, and some small mammals have an ability to find and harvest gold?
These actors turned down these roles:
-Will Smith – Turned down the role that eventually went to Keanu Reeve in “The Matrix”
-Tom Hanks – Turned down the role of Ray Kinsella in “Field of Dreams,” Andy Dufresne in “The Shawshank Redemption” and the lead role in “Jerry Maguire.”
-Keanu Reeves turned down Charlie Sheen’s role in “Platoon.”
More at the link!

Say it With Pictures
Classic:
demotivational posters - WHY WORRY
see more Very Demotivational

A crushing right hand in the 13th round wins the Heavyweight title for Rocky Marciano when he was trailing on points (in 1952):

Find the video for this, it's a huge right hand!

Rock Blogging
The tunes have returned! You know you missed this!

While not the complete song (get the soundtrack already!) here is The Blasters playing "Blue Shadow" in the film "Streets of Fire" and pardon the Spanish stuff:

And yes that is Amy Madigan from "Field of Dreams".

How about The Cult with "Edie" (love the section at 2:30 to 3:06):

And no, not Edie Falco, though I used to find her hot!

Now picking a favorite Black Sabbath tune is like picking a favorite Beatles tune (except all their songs suck so bad they are all even!) but if I was pressed I am going with "Snowblind":

There are MANY close seconds however.

We have a request from my wife for tonight (thanks princess!), and so here we go with Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros and "Home":

I love you too darlin'! I like this one very much.

Ok, I am about out of time so two more to close the show!

When I took little kitty Jessie to the Vet for her wellness check, they had Cyndi Lauper's song "She Bop" on the radio and I remembered how much fun the song was:

Nice!

Well, Home is where the heart is, and so let's close the show with Motley Crue and "Home Sweet Home":

Good stuff.

Have a good night.

7 comments:

Kid Dynamite said...

I was just thinking... does your professional career give you any insight into the biotech/pharma/any other industry? that might be a good thing for you to really take a deep dive into, if you already have base expertise.

re: NFLX: don't put any weight in my opinion, but NFLX is near the top of my short list (to SHORT, that is!) and yet, I'm not short it yet, because I somehow get the impression that sentiment has turned negative in it, EVERYONE thinks it's going down, and that means that it will absolutely RIP in the next 3 weeks into and after they report blowout earnings numbers...

of course, this is PURE speculation - and you should not trade on my moronic views.

EconomicDisconnect said...

KD,
LOL!

I think I know where you are coming from....

Indeud I know quite a bit about biotech an such and even have had to pass up many dilemma's like your insider trading post. MANY times. What can you do? I used to trade biotechs but now it gets hard with all the connections.

Yes, I fiing hate NFLX as a stock and an idea but not this week and next, sold to the next sucka after all, yes?

Kid Dynamite said...

NFLX is going lower. at some point. I just don't think in the next 20 days. And it may go higher - a lot higher - first - who knows.

And the simple fact that i think I have any idea where NFLX is going over the next 20 days is completely moronic.

So you're telling me you're too connected to trade Biotechs? wow... interesting. Surprising even. If I were you I'd make sure that what you think may be "insider" is really insider... it may not be.

EconomicDisconnect said...

KD,
I think email is a better way to go about this, mine is on the left sidebar. I had to side step three major market altering items in the last year (at a great loss/miss) and I do think it was insider stuff. Add to that my company policy is mega strict. Glad to discuss it, but not here.

EconomicDisconnect said...

Forgot to add,

NFLX is like Facebook, like Apple, the list goes on. All junk easily copied or beaten by lower price or what I call brand name fatigue. But not this month. As a newly minted who fiing cares about the next idiot kind, I could care less.

Kid Dynamite said...

understood. and I forgot that you work for a real company. for some reason I pictured you in your basement mixing chemicals (probably to put on the meat that goes in your smoker!), but knowing people in the business...

Re: tech: AAPL is not easily copied... neither is Facebook... it remains to be seen if NFLX can be - I think that's actually something critics overlook - their business model cannot be beaten/copied, because they are a super low cost provider already. AMZN, AAPL, GOOG may sell video on demand, but that's not what NFLX does...

GawainsGhost said...

Yeah, it is hard to pick a favorite Black Sabbath song. But mine would probably be Sabracadabra.

I'm reading the new book on the Beatles, You Never Give Me Your Money. It's fascinating, all about the band post-breakup. Did you know that the Fab Four were never in the same room together after January of 1969?

The thing about the Beatles is this. They were largely a media creation. The characters as we know them from A Hard Day's Night--John the intellectual, Paul the romantic, George the mystic, Ringo the goof--were invented by the comedian who wrote the script. The real men weren't like that. Lennon was a real asshole, McCartney was horribly insecure, Harrison was ineffectual musically (he could play the guitar, very well in fact, but the other two never helped him develop his song writing ability), only Starkey was accurately portrayed, as a goof. But the characterizations worked, on film, and the whole world bought it and loved it.

You had to grow up in that era, GYC, when Beatle mania became all the rage. I remember seeing them on the Ed Sullivan Show when I was 4, and I've loved them ever since. Revolver, Sgt. Pepper's, The Magical Mystery Tour, The White Album, all four were in the top ten at the same time. No other band has ever done that.

But it all became too much for them. The characters had turned into shackles they could not escape from, and they wanted their freedom. They just didn't want to be the Beatles anymore.

It's sad really. Their music captured the essence of an age of innocence and a belief in love that defined the late 60s. They wanted it to end, as it had to, but the rest of the world didn't.

Today, the Beatles have become so over-commercialized it's ridiculous. I mean, really. The striped walkway in front of Abbey Road Studio is a major tourist attraction, where thousands of people go every year to have their picture taken, walking across the street. Please.

This is a bunch of baby boomers desperately trying to recapture their youth, which they can't and won't. So all they're left with is Beatle worship.

The Beatles were an innovative band, changed the course of music. First to record distortion and use compression, first to print an album with lyrics, first to develop the concept album. Their success was so immediate and phenomenal, everybody wanted a piece of them. Managers, producers, lawyers, and accountants robbed them blind. Hence, the title of the book.

In the end, Lennon said, "It's just the breakup of a rock and roll band." Yeah. But one the world still hasn't gotten over.

You really should set aside your hatred, forget about the over-commercialization, and just give them a listen, GYC. I'd start with Rubber Soul. It is their best album, after all.