Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Until Tomorrow

Crazy day for real work and clearly for the markets. I have a few things I am working on tonight so no real post at this time. I should have a better idea what I want to write tomorrow.

One thing I wanted to share was this item from Bryce Elder at FT Alphaville which looked at how correlation is maybe not always such an amazing thing.

In the post "An Experiment in Delta None" it is noted that:
The CBOT’s Market Volatility Index, the Vix, is a proxy for interest in “Lil’ Kim download”.
AWESOME!! Lil Kim is related to volatility searches? Makes perfect sense, she gets me excited.

Added:
The Reformed Broker and I are still hitting the "Apple is Worth More Than" page and it made the NY Times Economix today:
What We’re Reading: Things Apple Is Worth More Than

As well as a slide show in The Atlantic:
Things Apple Is Worth More Than: All of Atlanta's Homes, Singapore's GDP, and More

I posted a new one tonight:
The US Automotive Aftermarket
Thanks again Josh!

Have a good night.

4 comments:

GawainsGhost said...

Wow, looks like William Shatner has a real problem with Star Wars.

http://pajamasmedia.com/lifestyle/2011/09/22/its-on-shatner-says-star-trek-is-better-than-star-wars-on-every-level/

I grew up on Star Trek. When I was a kid that was the show. That and Batman. But Shatner is right, a lot of episodes were centered around Shakespeare. I found the first movie disappointing. The second, the Wrath of Khan, centered around Melville, however, was excellent.

That really is the difference between now and then. Star Trek, even Batman which was a spoof, were literate shows, full of allusions to the great books. I remember episodes in which Capt. Kirk, surrounded by computers and technology, sat with glasses on, reading an old book. That's what I'm talking about.

Anyway, I'm wondering what is going on with this economy. Obama gives a speech and the markets tank? Hell of a job there, fella.

For Friday Night Entertainment, I recommend Thin Lizzy, "Cowboy Song."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IN862-bRsXs

Oh, and fell to edit the book reveiw I sent you at your discretion and publish at your leisure. If Ms. Hillier concurs.

GawainsGhost said...

*feel* free

Good grief, I can't even type today.

EconomicDisconnect said...

Gawains,
That would be great, I am sure Mrs. Hillier would love to see it all in print. This weekend most likely, thanks again!

Jennifer Hillier said...

Guys, you can call me Jenny, it's cool! :) And Gawains, thank you for the very, very thoughtful review. At the risk of sounding sappy, you have made my week.

GYSC, HUGE CONGRATS on the NY Times Economix feature! That is all kinds of awesomesauce. Don't forget about us little people when you hit the big time.