Thursday, September 8, 2011

Best of the Web Thursday

Out of time and everyone will be watching Obama and football anyway so here is a linkfest. Get your requests in for Friday night as well.

I closed all my positions today for a net 2% loss. Still no traction.

Linkfest
Stuff you should see today.

Josh Brown takes this quote from Bernanke today:
"Even taking into account the many financial pressures they face, households seem exceptionally cautious."
and makes 10 simple yet very important points. Check it out here.

Today's must read is Kevin Depew's latest "5 Things You Need to Know: Our Microwaveable Depression" as this is just the best.

High Chart Patterns Blog tells you exactly what is going on right now in chart form:
Middle of Nowhere
These guys are very sharp.

Mark of Illusion of Prosperity has a wonderful post on seafood prices that was very interesting:
Seafood for Thought

Tony of Macro Story always has the day's round up I want to see:
Market Recap Thursday September 8, 2011

Hat tip to Kid Dynamite, this great post on a possible "Operation Twist" by Bond Girl has this perfect line:
"The duration of the Fed’s portfolio is not what is standing between us and economic prosperity. Get real, people."
Love it.

Have a good night.

6 comments:

GawainsGhost said...

Okay, want to hear another forgery story?

When I was 15, I was sitting in class at high school, dutifully performing my assignment, when the principal's voice came over the intercom and called me by name to the office. Everyone stared at me and I wondered what was up, because I hadn't done anything.

It was my mother. She took me out of school and drove me to the office. This was before she had bought the company. See, there was this contract for some mega-deal that required the owner's signature, except he wasn't around. So my mother instructed me to sign the contract in his name.

Um, isn't that like a felony? "I need this money, now sign the contract." Okay.

I studied his signature and practiced for a while, then signed the contract. And she took me back to school.

To this day I have no idea what that contract was for or how much money was involved. But a few years later my mother bought the company out from under a multi-millionaire.

These robo-signers, they got nothing on me.

The Sovereign Bohemian said...

G! Can I change my Friday night request? I would rather hear Jimmy Buffett - Havana Day Dreamin' - Ernest Hemingway tribute. Thanks.

I think your blog just keeps getting better. (Let me wipe that brown stuff off of my nose.)

Really, it does. Good job, Chumley! And thanks for the vid, whatever you choose.

The Sovereign Bohemian said...

Gawains, I might never look at Real Estate the same way again. Actually, I'm sure of it.

I love your perspective.

Have a good weekend GYSC. I'm still trying to take in all the charts you posted. Thanks.

GawainsGhost said...

Well, if you want to know the real story, when I was a freshman at UT, I went home to visit my parents for Thanksgiving. That Friday I went to the office to take my mother to lunch before I drove back to Austin.

As we were getting in the car, the owner and the secretary came walking out. When we got back from lunch, they were walking down the sidewalk.

I asked my monther, "Did you notice how she had her hair done when we left?"

"Yeah, she had it in a bun."

"And now?"

"She combed it out."

I looked her right in the eyes and asked, "Combed it out or fucked it out?"

"You don't think!" she said.

Hey, I don't know, I told her, I wasn't there. But I do know this. There isn't a woman alive who would take the time to fix her hair in the morning, just so she could comb it out over lunch with her boss.

About two weeks later, I got this phone call. It was my mother. "You were right. That son of a bitch! He's having an affair."

"What are you going to do?" I asked.

"I'm going to do something," she said. Then about a month later I got another phone call. It was my mother. "Know what I did today?"

"No, I have no idea. I'm 500 miles away."

"I bought the company."

Gee, and from which forged contract did you get the money to do that?

Actually, what happened is that she stormed into his office and told him, "Either sell me this company or I quit. I run a real estate company, not a brothel."

He refused, so she quit. And all the other realtors walked out with her. Now, what is he going to do? He has an empty office, all these listings and pending contracts, no one to do his dirty work--he had to sell it to her. She called his hand.

By the way, that secretary, she was the deacon's wife.

For Friday Night Entertainment, I recommend Alice Cooper, "Welcome to My Nightmare."

EconomicDisconnect said...

Gawains you are scaring me.

Dave in Denver said...

Hey GYC,

Thanks! YOu have a great weekend too. Pats should win. Saints had every chance last night. That might be a preview of the NFC title game.