Friday, September 9, 2011

Friday Night Pick Up

4 day weeks are always the longest it seems.

Market Observations
After a reasonable rally, markets tanked again today. Just an impossible situation to trade unless you can sit in the turret all day and work it. Still not a healthy market for swing trade set ups (days to a week or two) and many people are very frustrated. It's understandable.

Looking forward I felt that the weak forward guidance given by both McDonalds (MCD, I own shares in long term account) and athletic wear maker Lululemon (LULU) are signalling weakness in consumption among all groups; the lower end and the higher end. Earnings numbers next time may not be as great as expected and that is going to be an issue. If the market does not crash first of course.

Friday Night Entertainment
A little break is needed I think. Seeing many of my blogging/trading friends a bit on edge and a little levity goes a long way.

Book Excerpt
As you know I am reading Daniel Wilson's "Robopocalypse". Just go get this book right now. NOW! I will share a part that is still hitting me even now a day after I read it.

Setup; machines have become self aware and have evolved intelligence at a high level. A little girl's electronic doll has been awakened and calls the girl by her name! Freaky? Yes. Then comes this exchange:
"How come you know my name? You aren't supposed to know my name, Buttercup."
"I know lots of things Mathilda. I have gazed through space telescopes into the heart of the galaxy. I have seen a dawn of four hundred billion suns. It all means nothing without life. You and I are special, Mathilda. We are alive."

Plenty more in the book.

Funny Visuals
Chuckles all around.

Free Hugs!:
demotivational posters - WELL AS A RULE, Man
see more Very Demotivational

Zombie Coming Up?:
photobomb that guy - She'll Drop Her Drink if She Turns Around
see more This is Photobomb

Rock Blogging
Providing the tunes since 2007 and free to all!

My friend, The Sovereign Bohemian, had his birthday this week! Happy birthday! By request here is Jimmy Buffet and "Havana Daydreaming":


Master document forger Gawains (kidding!) wanted Alice Cooper and "Welcome to my Nightmare" and I do love Alice:

Nice.

Robert Sinn pointed out this new tune and I like it. Try out "Nothing" by The Script:

Very nice.

For my good friends in the iBankCoin 12631 Pelican Room may I present Toby Keith and "Made in America":


Ride away with Great White and "Save Your Love":

Huge tune.

Ok, two songs left! What will it be?

Fitting, Styx with "Mr. Roboto":

Automation.

Last call! Grab a girl and a drink and get set.

Close the show with "Stroker Ace" by The Charley Daniels Band:


Have a good night.

11 comments:

Jake said...

Just really started checking out Twitter or would've been following you earlier.

Enjoy the weekend my friend... football time!

EconomicDisconnect said...

No problem at all Jake! Beeb retweeting your posts all along. You going to the TBP conference?

Anonymous said...

There can only be One!

Regards,

GravestoneDoji

EconomicDisconnect said...

thanks @gravestone!

Jennifer Hillier said...

I think that book Robopocalypse would creep me out, and I am not easily creeped out. But maybe I'll give it a shot one of these days.

Love that Great White song.

Happy weekend, my friend.

The Sovereign Bohemian said...

More! More!

Thanks for playing some Jimmy Buffett. It was the best birthday present I got. All of the songs were AT LEAST 9 out of 10. Great job G.

Have a great weekend.

GawainsGhost said...

Oh, so I'm scaring you now, eh? Giving you nightmares, am I?

Yeah, well, I'll tell you something else. The multi-millionaire my mother bought the company out from under, his grandfather raised race horses down here for Al Capone. It's true.

There are stories about how Capone used to come down here to check on his investments. An old barber who claimed that he got paid $20 for a 50 cent hair cut. I know for a fact most of those stories are true.

This guy, the horse raiser, made millions, bought tens of thousands of acres down here. The family sold the land long ago, but kept the mineral rights. In fact, if you drive north from here, all that land you see on either side of the highway used to belong to them. Those natural gas pumps you see, however, are about $2 million/year in income.

Something about all family fortunes being built on crime. I've been to their island. It's on Lake Vermillion, about 45 miles south of Canada. Nice place.

Here's the thing. Now they're broke. I know because I managed, listed and sold their properties, for a commission of course. They're desperate, cash strapped.

Something about crime doesn't pay.

Oh, and document forgery? It's a piece of cake. I've been doing it since I was 15. And don't even get me started on my mother. She once took me out of school and drove me to the bank. There was this big deal going down, $400,000 cash. Drug dealers showed up in a limosine with the money. She wanted me along for protection. Like I'm going to protect her, as a teenager, from these guys.

I'm just telling you this because I want you to know. Nobody can tell you what I know about real estate.

EconomicDisconnect said...

Glad everyone liked the friday night show!

GawainsGhost said...

I'll tell you what. I am so not looking forward to the Cowboys game tonight. I think they're going to get slaughtered.

To make matters worse, the Texans are beating the living shit out of the Colts. This means my mother will never let me live it down when the Cowboys get their collective asses kicked tonight.

It broke her heart when Green Bay beat New Orleans Thursday night. She only likes teams when they're winning.

This is a woman who, except for a short stint in the 90s when Troy Aikman was winning Super Bowls (he looked a lot like her brother, my Uncle Buddy), never watched professional football until a few years ago. I got the NFL Ticket on DirecTV, and suddenly she started watching every game, reading the sports section every morning. Now she's like some expert.

I don't get it. My grandmother, her mother, was the greatest Dallas Cowboys fan ever. She watched every game for the first in 1960 to the last in 1997, when she finally passed away. I grew up on her knee watching the Dallas Cowboys play football.

But my mother, she only watched the Cowboys for a few years when Aikman was winning. Then she stopped for a decade. Now she thinks they're losers, which they are. She likes the Texans, the Saints, and probably the Jets after tonight.

Sorry, sports fans, but you don't go into a season with three rookies, one of whom is a backup rookie, none of whom has ever played a down in the NFL, on the offensive line. I don't care who your quarterback is, your running back, your tight end, your receivers are, if they don't have guys that can block for them up front, they're going to get hurt.

And this defense? Please, the secondary is Swiss cheese, the defensive line can't generate pressure, they can't stop the run or the pass. This is basically the same group of guys who quit on the field last year.

Special teams, give me a break. Special ed teams is more like it. They let all of their contributors go!

I'll be shocked if these Cowboys win 7 games. It's going to be a long season of misery, with my mother gloating the entire time while her Houston Texans win.

God, God! It sucks to a Cowboys fan these days. I've come to have a visceral hatred for Jerry Jones.

EconomicDisconnect said...

I am hoping the Cowboys beat the Jets.

Anonymous said...

This post will help the internet users for building up new web
site or even a weblog from start to end.



my website - click here to visit them