Friday, March 25, 2011

Want to Double Your Money? Fold it in Half!

I am feeling a bit better today, but that is not saying much. I probably should have taken today off from work, but I thought it would be better to be up and about. Great idea.

In the Money?
Tonight in the Massachusetts Lotto game Mega Millions, the jackpot is around $315 Million dollars! When lotto jackpots get over $100 Million I always buy 20 quick picks just in case. When I win I will handle it very calmly.

I plan on blowing about a million in Vegas, handing out millions to my close friends (there are not many) and with the rest I would try and get either Josh Brown or chessNwine to manage for me. It's all planned out. Wish me luck.

JP Morgan and Silver - The Story Never Ends
I do not want to get all into this issue, either you believe JPM has silver games going or you don't. I do. For some interesting commentary I would point you to today's post over at The Golden Truth:
The COMEX goes "Extend and Pretend" on JP Morgan's Paper Silver Short
Whatever you think about the JPM/silver connection the move to allow JPM fast track access to silver storage (by the CME) cannot be dismissed as nothing.

Market Operations
I was ill most of the week, but I did open some positions:
-On Tuesday ,after something my wife said
put an idea in my head, I went long SHW (Sherman Williams) and RPM (RPM International). I also bought TAN (solar ETF) but that was a rip off of chessNwine.
-On Thursday as I waited for my doctor's appointment I went long YGE (a solar company) again ripping off sir Chess, and KCG (Knight Capital) which was a chart I liked before and I wonder if all the volatility and trading volume might just make it's way to their next earnings report.

As always, not investment advice. Just telling you what I am up to.

Friday Night Entertainment
Some non-financial related items for a change of pace.

Old but Weird
Somehow I do not think this was the original title for Mary Wollstonecraft's book "A Vindication of the Rights of Woman":
A Vindication Of The Rights Of Woman
see more Historic LOL

Now I want to bowling after seeing this vintage ad:
demotivational posters - BOWLING
see more Very Demotivational
Sometimes I get this feeling that the 1950's were more fun than people think.

Fishing Flu
I may be sick, but it is that time of year to get ready for fishing season! Time to buy a license and do that most sacred of all outdoors man ceremonies; cleaning your gear and buying new stuff!

It may be a bit before I can get out there, all the snow has raised the Merrimack River to dangerous levels for a Kayak and the cold meltwater may delay the fish waking up. Here are a few posts that show EonomicDisconnect out on the water. There is even a post with a real picture of me! I still am able to remain anonymous/mysterious/afraid to show my face:
Quabbin Reservoir 1
The Mighty Merrimack
The Kayak Rigged for War
Quabbin Reservoir 2
Can't wait to get back out there.

Film Clips
Well sort of.

I just got the new Star Wars book "Deceived" by Paul Kemp via Amazon. This novel covers the origins of the upcoming game "Star Wars: The Old Republic". If you have not seen the game trailer, well you should remedy that:

SICK! Better, clearer version here. Second trailer here.

One of my favorite scenes of all time: Uther Pendragon (Gabriel Byrne) embeds the mythical sword Excalibur into the stone (skip to 1:50 mark on):

That rocks I don't care who you are.

Rock Blogging
Low on energy, low on concentration, but EconomicDisconnect always delivers on Friday night.

The last time I had "Green River" by Creedence on, I also featured a DNA based puzzle in this post. Check out the puzzle and see if you would like more, and of course check out this tune:

Love that tune.

The yearly appearence of "Libera Me":

So nice.

Ok, for all you "Princess Bride" maniacs out there (I am one of many, 'My name is legion for we are many') here is "My Love is Like a Storybook Story" by Willy Deville:

Mega points for who can source the quote above.

Still going strong, Bon Jovi with "Who Says You Can't Go Home":


Two left and that's it.

Please enjoy Anthrax with "Black Lodge":

HA, you had no idea they could play that kind of tune!

Last call!

Closing up shop with Depeche Mode and "Wrong" with a great live show:

See I can stay off the heavy metal at times!

Have a good night.

12 comments:

GawainsGhost said...

Sorry, but Google has been giving me problems posting comments lately. I don't know why.

I wrote a long comment about these stupid appraisal laws yesterday, but couldn't post it. I'll rewrite it and email it to you.

Anyway, I remember about 30 years ago seeing this guy on TV who won the lottery, not once but twice. He took the street numbers of all the houses he had lived in, arranged them in chronological order, and won $50 million!

Then he took the same numbers, reversed them, and won again, $50 million.

Now, what are the odds of that?

watchtower said...

GYSC, looks like Javier Bardem (No Country For Old Men) may have the part as 'Roland' in Stephen King's 'The Dark Tower' (directed by Ron Howard).

http://tinyurl.com/4qenyyn

Thought that might interest you being as your a fan of No Country For Old Men.

Take care.

watchtower said...

I found a movie trailer for 'The Dark Tower':

http://tinyurl.com/4mtj9kl

EconomicDisconnect said...

Hey Gawains!
Please email me that work up of yours, would love to see it. What a total mess those laws are!

Watchtower,
I was worried Vegas ate you up! Thanks so much for the links! I am actually a Dark Tower Fan (until the last book!). Javier Bardem will always be Anton to me. Have you seen the cool "Call It" artwork on the left of this site?

watchtower said...

"Have you seen the cool "Call It" artwork on the left of this site?"

Absolutely!

I wouldn't doubt if that pic doesn't reach icon status one of these days, hell you may have already put it there!
It is cool no doubt.

David Batista said...

Oh man, I *love* the soundtrack for Interview With The Vampire! And especially the opening track, Libera Me. Great choice of video, there.

And, LOL! You went and put up an Excalibur clip. Awesome!

Dave in Denver said...

I love Depeche Mode! That KY/OSU game tonight was epic. Good to see OSU and Duke bite the dust! BBQ season setting in.

EconomicDisconnect said...

Frack! I won one dollar ($1). Dang it have to go to work on Monday.....

scharfy said...

GYSC been tracking you for a while on Google reader, haven't commented much though.

Re: the JPM silver short, seems like much ado about nothing. JPM is more of a broker than a speculative player, so "their" short positions are just clients.

And for every under funded, speculative short, their is an underfunded speculative long.

That's the nature of leverage.

I think as long as they have the margin requirements(CME recently increased them), the longs and the shorts can do battle. If the longs had the cash, then taking delivery would end it instantly, no?

Every futures market on the planet has levered players making bets. I doubt JPM is notionally exposed to silver prices. They make money the old fashioned way - charging clients fees.

I doubt Jamie diamond is betting the ranch on silver prices.

Just watched Gamboa KO someone. That dude can swing...

Hope alls well

scharfy said...

Jamie Dimon :) not diamond

EconomicDisconnect said...

Hey scharfy! So glad you stopped in, how are you doing?

All is well over here, but I am still really sick. Getting annoying but I will have a post up in a bit that cheers me up, hint the best NASCAR driver won the race today!

Mayruyk said...

Jamie Dimon :) not diamond