Friday, March 2, 2012

Finely Festooned Friday

Messy snow here but commute in and out was no problem. Going to rain all day tomorrow. Dark and grey, dark and grey.

Market Observations and Activity
What's left to say really? Things are stalled out and today there was some beatings handed out. While one of my positions, CACI, was not really near my stop out I cut it today for a -2% loss. I may have been early on this one breaking over $60, or late in a market cycle. Just looked weak and I wanted to lighten up. BANR was in a fist fight at the $20.50 level on high volume. WRI hung around. WFM was the only bright spot, closing strong over the $82 level.

Next week is pivotal if a higher run is in the cards. Market looks tired. Many solid looks that have been performing are at best stalling or at worst going in full reverse. There are some things working, but most I see are earnings or news based run ups. This does not mean a huge bear market is upon us, and I do not believe one is. This sideways snooze fest could go on but it's not worth me chasing names during that kind of market. More on Sunday and will look at more things.

Friday Night Entertainment
Let me see what I can find.

Choose Your Own Adventure Books!
Came across a great post over at Weird Universe that discussed the old "Choose Your Own Adventure" books! I so loved them all when I was a kid. Seems the inventor, Edward Packard, now has them on Apple products (of course!) like the iPhone and iPad. Here are some pictures:
Cool! Best ever were the "Lone Wolf" series of books by Joe Dever.

NEVER!
Loved this Abstruse Goose comic from today. In all the realms if disbelief the USA will not adopt the metric system! "Chrono-Synclastic Infundibulum" (click for larger view):
Too funny.

Optical Illusions
Just like the arrow in the FedEx logo is all I see now, after this the "&" character will never be the same:
mobile phone texting autocorrect - Autocowrecks: An (amper)Sandy Butt
see more epicfails

Film Clips
Check these out!

One of the best films I have ever seen was the handling of the King Arthur legend in "Excalibur". This clip is when Arthur is saved by the Holy Grail and then leads his knights back out to fight with some epic music on tap:

Ozzy will often start his shows with this very song. For extra credit, what song is this?

The only saving grace for "The Phantom Menace" was Darth Maul. Total bad ass Sith. I can spool the scene at the start of this clip when the doors open and the music plays for hours:

NICE!

Rock Blogging
Music for the masses.

Leading off tonight is a classic as picked by Sal Arnuk of Themis Trading. Open the show with Johnny Cash at Folsom Prison doing the blues!:

I love this performance so much, thanks! Follow Sal on Twitter @ThemisSal

MY friend and fellow 12631 trader Arctic Gambino has really turned me on to the Black Keys. Catch this live show of "Howlin' for You":

Very nice selection. Check Arctic out on Twitter @a_bh_a

Ok, a little something different. Please give this one a shot and listen to the end, it's really too funny! Bryan Bowers and "The Scotsman":

Awesome, yes?

Via Twitter here is my man @CapCube with a request for Weezer's "Troublemaker":

Not bad at all.

Ok, one more chance at the song from "Excalibur" and like I said, Ozzy loves to open with it. Here is "I Don't Know" with Randy Rhoads:

Unreal good. I get chills on this one.

Two left.

I don't know why Hole ended up dying, ok I do Courtney! Plenty of wonderful songs left behind though. How about "Violet":

Love that one!

Last call, grab a drink, a girl, or a stapler!

Turn the speakers WAY Up for Jimi Hendrix and "All Along the Watchtower":


Have a good night.

4 comments:

GawainsGhost said...

You think snow and rain is inconvient? What about that swath of violent tornadoes that tore through the mid-west? An entire town was wiped out!

Tornadoes scare the living shit of of me. They're probably the most destructive force in nature. With hurricanes, you get some high wind that may rip off some roofs, knock over some tree and signs, and flood the town. But a hurricane isn't going to lay waste to an entire town, reduce every house and building to rubble, kill dozens of people.

It's going to take years to repair all the damage, and the cost will probably be in the hundreds of millions. Now that's scary.

David Batista said...

Excalibur! I love that movie, too. Watched it so many times growing up. And I probably listen to the entirety of Orff's Carmina Burana half a dozen times a year, so of course I recognize the piece as "O Fortuna!" :)

I have many problem with The Phantom Menace, but quite frankly any movie that has such a finely crafted--and let's be blunt, KICK ASS--2 on 1 duel like that one cannot possibly be bad. I refuse to believe it! So, yes, TPM always gets a pass in my book. Unlike that turd of a sequel, Attack of the Clones, which has no redeeming qualities as far as I'm concerned.

I wish we could trade weather, my friend. Your snow and overcast skies for our sun, 50 degree temps, and absolutely no snow on the ground here in New York. Bleh! This is no fun!

mike said...

Want to exchange links?

Anonymous said...

I loved as much as you'll receive carried out right here. The sketch is tasteful, your authored subject matter stylish. nonetheless, you command get got an edginess over that you wish be delivering the following. unwell unquestionably come more formerly again since exactly the same nearly very often inside case you shield this increase.

my weblog :: interesting web site