Friday, December 31, 2010

Happy New Year in 2011!

Hello out there!

I hope everyone had a great holiday week. I basically took the whole week off from doing much of anything and it was very nice. Slowing things down can be fun too. I wanted to share a few recent items as well as a few words.

First off, the big snowstorm that came early last week turned out to not be too bad here. Maybe 8 inches of snow, but it snowed for like 18 hours so it seemed like more. Luckily it was the super light stuff, easy to move. Here is the House after the storm looking very pretty all wintered up:

Don't bug me about the house color, it is atrocious and will be repainted next year I think.

For Christmas dinner I made a 7 pound Prime Rib on the Big Steel Keg. I had never cooked in the cold air before (it was about 20 degrees) and thus I had some temperature control issues as the cold air was like jet fuel for the lump charcoal! I had wanted to cook the roast for about 4-4.5 hours at 300 degrees, but it was more like 3 hours at 350-375! The meal tasted wonderful, but there was only medium done meat, no medium rare to rare was achieved. What can you do. Here is the roast before:

And after it was done:

Still looks great at least!

The last news item refers to the new addition to the family! A little kitten was adopted from our local Humane Society! Long time readers may know that I love cats very much. When my last cat died a while back I was seriously hurt and it had taken a LONG time to even think about another cat. After about 6 months of trips to the Humane Society (who do a great job!) I found a new companion, her name is Jessie and she is a torti mix who is as sweet as it gets:

Of course all tortoise coat cats have a wild streak and she set out right after the Christmas Tree ornaments as fair game:

Little monster!

Our Pug dog Norman was upset for the first couple of days with a new competitor, but he has settled in well now. It is fun to have a cat again.

I know I am supposed to say something memorable or uplifting going into the New Year. I guess I am going to come up short. 2010 was at times great, terrible, successful, a mess, fun, and sad. I would imagine most can say that about any year. All I know is I am committed to getting myself rolling in 2011 and that means some real work on my trading. I kept a bunch of models of various things I had wanted to work on and they would have done really well (what didn't in 2010?) but I was just not into it. In 2011, I want some money! I am looking forward to writing more as well. Who wants Friday Night Blogging back?

Most of all a fresh start is always the promise of New Years, and that is a good promise indeed. I wish everyone a wonderful 2011 and I would hope the promise of a fresh start will help you as well.

Have a good night.

6 comments:

watchtower said...

You have got a lot of trees around your house, I can see how you are running into acorn trouble.

Good looking cat too, looks feisty!

The prime rib looks awesome as usual, would have gladly traded the piece of ham that I had for a piece of that beef on Christmas.

Jake said...

Your food always looks absurdly good.

Congrats on a great 2010 and some great calls (i.e. hard metals kid!).

Wish you and yours a happy / healthy 2011!

EconomicDisconnect said...

Watchtower,
those are but a few of the many trees! Here is hoping acorn season in 2011 is less than 2010.

Jake,
thanks for the kind words, best wishes.

S. Gompers said...

Happy New Years GYSC, great lookimg prime rib, all our snow is gone in southern Ohio, 51 degrees yesterday.

crisis garden said...

Like the line in Office Space:

What'd you do over the weekend?

Peter: I did nothing. I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it would be.

Dave in Denver said...

Hey GYC. Send me email to my midas10k@comcast.net account. I seem to have misplaced your email address.

If the Raiders had a real QB, they would have probably won the AFC West. On the other hand, the Broncos had a chance to beat the Raiders 2 weeks ago but the interim coach was calling moronic offensive plays and wouldn't let Tebow go crazy.

Right now the Pats seem invincible.