Thursday, December 24, 2009

Christmas Eve Celebration

Well well, it is that time of year once again!

Merry Christmas to all the regulars;
Mark, Watchtower, Dave, Jeff, Lisa, Sedentary State, Gawains, C-T and Kevin.

And also for the many that stop in from time to time and for all those that find this place due to Lol Cat picture posts!

I could do a far reaching, deep thought financial post, but it is Christmas Eve and what fun would that be? Plus it is unlikely I have ever written anything far reaching anyway!

I will let a few writers do the heavy lifting on some items you may not want to let slip by this week, but then a festive post!

State Budget Problems
As discussed here this week, states are going to have a rough go of it. Some more than others to be sure. One big mess (besides California) is Arizona and Mish has a good one today:
Arizona Crisis of "Unparalleled Dimension"
Arizona Governor Jan Brewer is brutally honest about the state's situation and great commentary by Mish.

I would point out this section from the Governor's letter as it shows where things will be heading:
-I ordered the Arizona Department of Corrections to return to the custody of U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (“ICE”) -- as soon as possible -- all non-violent criminal aliens as is allowed under existing law. These inmates are the responsibility of the federal government (as is securing our border with Mexico). Arizona should not have to bear this cost.
-I am restating my Arizonans-only directives to state agencies to ensure that public benefits are provided only to those who are legally in this country and who reside in this state.
And so it begins.

When times are flush major problems (like illegal immigration) are ignored or condoned. When TSHTF, the gloves will come off. This bears watching.

Households Buying Treasuries in Record Numbers?
Jesse covers today all that is wrong with government lies and games. This is becoming so bad you do not know whether to laugh or cry. I try and laugh but the comedy may be coming to a sudden end:
Who is Buying all Theses US Treasuries (And Can they Keep it Up in 2010?)
You need to read this over a couple of times. Very important. One snippet:
If you think that this crisis will be deflationary, then you might be a bit surprised to see what happens if and when a US sovereign debt offering fails in the market. It will not be pretty. And it will not be dollar friendly in the longer term. But who can say what will happen, when there are so many possibilities.
Great stuff.

Christmas Celebration
I am a huge fan of Christmas with only some one's birthday being larger to me as a holiday. I am a sucker for gifts for all my friends and family and so I do play the "great consumer" role at times like this! Sue me.

My favorite Christmas film is "It's a Wonderful Life" which to this day smacks me upside the sentimental head. Considered a "flop" when is was released it has since attained legend status. In a film of truly touching scenes enjoy this climatic selection:

Love it.

Has anyone really not seen "A Christmas Story"? If you have not, well, that stinks. Enjoy the "Pink Nightmare":

Too funny.

If you want to go Christmas, you want to go large. To do that you have to have Bing Crosby:

Classic from a time when you had to have real talent to be a singer.

Poor Santa never gets a break:
funny pictures of cats with captions
see more Lolcats and funny pictures

Kitty Christmas list:
funny pictures of cats with captions
see more Lolcats and funny pictures


All,
Enjoy the holiday and I wish you a Merry Christmas. Thank you so much for being a part of this show and for all the feedback. Many who stop in show what's best in people and that gives me hope we will figure a way out of this mess.

Have a good night.

15 comments:

EconomicDisconnect said...

Now this is a perfect headline for Christmas Eve when no one is looking:
"Treasury removes cap for Fannie and Freddie aid
Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac receive unlimited future funds from taxpayers to stay afloat"

http://tinyurl.com/ygpzwug

Nothing can be done to stop this so we just have to wait for collapse. Merry Christmas!

watchtower said...

Greetings and Merry Christmas from the heart of 'Jesusland'!

If my local mall was a microcosm then I would say it's over, finished, stick a fork in it - it's done.
Plenty of parking and traffic is as light as I have ever seen it on Christmas Eve.

I just thought Black Friday looked bleak around here.

"Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac receive unlimited future funds from taxpayers to stay afloat"

I don't have unlimited funds though.

EconomicDisconnect said...

Ah but my young grasshopper, as a unit, "the taxpayer", we do!! Amazing!

Merry Christmas Watchtower.

Will Profit said...

Merry Christmas from the heart of the beautiful Texas hill Country!

EconomicDisconnect said...

And to you Will!

Texas has hills? Who knew?

Anonymous said...

Hello SHTF Crew,

Just checking back in and hope everyone is having a very safe and happy holiday season!

SGT. G

PS: Things are grand in here if you like MREs.

watchtower said...

Alright G's checked in!

watchtower said...

Or I should say Sgt G!

Stagflationary Mark said...

Merry Christmas!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfqCFEHlw9I

Shame on me. I was inspired to post it based on your kitty Christmas list. I even have a parrot, lol.

EconomicDisconnect said...

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!

G you are a sargent now!!??

So glad you stopped in. Please let me know if there is anything I can do for you, use the contact email on the side of the site.

G, this was a Christmas gift for sure, all my best for you and yours.

I am pretty happy right now.

Lisa said...

Merry Christmas (a little late) GYSC, and to all your readers.

A very special Merry Christmas to SGT G! Hugs and kisses to you, dear :) ( I was partial to C-Rats, myself. The MRE's stink)

Lisa

Anonymous said...

Yup, Sgt. G here!

I wish everyone a happy new year and good luck in 2010! (WOW I can't even believe it's 2010 in just a few days)

I have a feeling that 2010 will be a year to remember on too numerous accounts.

Currently still in training and will be until the end of this next year. One things for sure my new employer isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

Sgt. G.

PS: Don't worry everything will sort itself in short order.

EconomicDisconnect said...

Sgt G,
I am so glad you are doing well. I think you are right, things are about to get interesting.

CT-Hilltopper said...

A belated Merry Christmas to all!

I've been working my ass off so I could get time off to go skiing with my family this week while the kids are out of school.

We leave Monday morning! Yes!!!!

So, let me be early in wishing everyone a safe and Happy New Year before we all go to Hell in the proverbial handbasket (and I'm not kidding either). Have you seen some of the info on the Option ARM resets that are out there? Add that to the subrpime mess that still is going on (no matter what the government says), and the prime (ditto), and we have one hell of a mess on our hands.

As far as Christmas, all the malls here were packed towards the end. Standing room only. But this is the Gold Coast. We have unemployment and foreclosures just like everyone else, we just hide them better.

All you have to do is read the newspapers. They've finally caught up with the fact that there are more people here using food stamps and cash assistance than at any other time on record. My son and daughter ended up getting a grand total of four coats each for Christmas (How? Beats the hell out of me?). Instead of wanting to take the extra coats to the store to get money to buy more stuff(they hauled in plenty of stuff, regardless), they each decided to keep one new coat and send the rest of the coats to Goodwill. I won't be broadcasting that, for the sake of family unity, but I was damn proud of them.

I hope the economy holds together until I get back. I'm not kidding. It can't hold together forever.

EconomicDisconnect said...

C-T,
Happy almost New year as well!

I am not brave enough to try skiing, too dangerous.

I think the eCONomy will hold out until you return.

All my best.

Also looking forward to today to settle out the NFL playoff spots!