Thursday, September 25, 2008

Too Much Going On

I think it is the television station TNT's motto: "We Know Drama". Well, any TV show is seriously lacking in the kind of real drama that has gripped "A fundamentally sound and strong economy" over the last 2 weeks! So much news, so many headlines. It is hard to stay on top of this stuff and get ready for Armageddon at the same time.

I Just Wanted You to Not Test Nuclear Devices
Sometimes things happen that are so funny you cannot help but laugh till it hurts. Here is one such item I came across today:
AP
Michael Douglas asked about Wall Street crisis
Wed Sep 24, 8:30 PM ET
UNITED NATIONS - Michael Douglas had to field questions Wednesday about the financial turmoil shaking world markets from reporters recalling his role in the 1987 film "Wall Street."
The actor sought to focus on the subject of Wednesday's news conference — urging the United States and eight other holdout nations to ratify a nuclear test ban treaty.
Douglas won an Academy Award for portraying the rapacious banker Gordon Gekko, who popularized the phrase "greed is good" in the movie.
After world leaders here condemned the "boundless greed" of world markets, Douglas was asked to compare nuclear Armageddon with the "financial Armageddon on Wall Street."
But the likening to Gekko did not end there, with a reporter asking: "Are you saying Gordon that greed is not good?"
"I'm not saying that," Douglas replied. "And my name is not Gordon. He's a character I played 20 years ago."


So Mr. Douglas was just trying to get more signatures to the nuclear test ban treaty (admirable) and some delusional UN staffer confused the man with one of his roles. I guess it is easy with the Terminator as the governor of California, but I laughed till it hurt on this one!

Too Much Going On
Late word tonight that the FDIC will take over the deposits at the troubled Washington Mutual (WM) and immediately sell that base to JP Morgan (JPM). What happens to the other (mostly bad) assets of WM is guesswork at this point, but I wonder if Paulson and the FDIC had hoped to have that bailout bill passed to run this job. Doing this on a Thursday night is highly unusual, and alas, there is yet another big wig meeting among the FED-Treasury-Congress players scheduled for tonight!

Loyal readers, I would love to write a huge post, but I worked all day (I had a big breakthrough on a tough project that I came up with all by my lonesome! Woo HOO!) and there is just too much. I suggest looking at the Calculated Risk comments section, as the JPM/WM news broke there first!

Things are getting strange, weird, you name it. Use the comments section to answer the following questions:
1. How much cash will I need for 8-14 days in the event of a real crisis?
2. Food and water amounts for 8-14 days?
3. Is transferring cash to a country like Switzerland feasible? How do I do it?
4. Other tips for a possible 8-14 days of unrest?

Have a good night, and take care my friends.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

8 to 14 days?

Your one of those "glass is half full" kind of guys aren't you? :)

EconomicDisconnect said...

Watchtower,

I guess I am one of those "The voulume of the glass is one half actualized" guys as I am a scientist. I imagine 8-14 days should be enough time for things to settle out. If not, it is not going to matter how much cash/water/food/guns I have I will be in bad trouble so no use getting all worked up.

Anonymous said...

True

Make yourself some good neighbors, it will be OK.