Friday, October 7, 2011

Take a Break on Friday Night

I was able to find a dentist that could see my right away today. They re-cemented my crown and it feels fine. That was so annoying.

I may post something tomorrow night, but then I will be off until Wednesday as I trek to New York City for The Big Picture Conference.

Take a Break on Friday Night
Another wild ride today for markets. Up big, down big, it's all over the place. I am hopeful next week while I am busy some clarity will come. Earnings start in earnest next week, you know what to be looking for.

Ok, Of to the show!

Friday Night Entertainment
Let's see what I can find to present.

Hugh Ferriss - Charcoal Art
Stumbled upon some amazing work by Hugh Ferriss, whose works influenced the idea for the city of Gotham in the Batman series. Love the work, here are two examples:

Much more at this expansive link:
Hugh Ferriss: Delineator of Gotham

Fun with Photos
Let's see what we can see.

Serves him right for wearing that T-shirt:
demotivational posters - WELL...
see more Very Demotivational

Yes ladies, even across time and space and through a TV men can stare at boobs:
photobomb that guy - Doug Fister
see more This is Photobomb

Film Clips
What to see on movie night.

I love Tom Hanks and Leonardo in "Catch Me if You Can" and I highly recommend a watch:


"The Mask of Zorro" was very well done. Here at the start of the clip, a new Zorro is given the mask:

Nice.

Rock Blogging
Musical chairs without the nasty competition since 2007.

One of the great things about being a blogger and having a solid reader base is that you get to see people go through life, just like you do. Luckily I have many long time readers and one great one is known simply as G. Back in 2007 (I think) G started reading and commenting as a young man very concerned about how things where going in the economic world. Later on, G joined the military and I was sad to not hear from him for a long time. He popped back up at "private G" and said he was doing well. As of late it is now Lieutenant G, and he is off to airborne special ops soon! Can you believe that! All my best G, and thanks. G asked for Skynet Symphonic (Terminator 2 Remix), so here it is:

Be safe my friend.

Author Jennifer Hillier requested some old school Adam Ant and "Goody Two Shoes":

No drinks even, Jennifer? Come on! You must do something bad!

Reader Gawains was looking for Slade and "Mama Weer all Crazee Now" and I did not know they did this song first (Thinking Quiet Riot):

Nifty.

"Blinded by the Light" by Manfred Mann was the pick from Sovereign Bohemian and features one of the most mixed up lines ever in music (its not wrapped up like a, well, Google it):


Ozzy's "Waiting for Darkness" is a tune I have always loved:


Ok, two songs left!

The Dan Band doing Bonnie Tyler's immortal "Total Eclipse of the Heart" and yes it's full of bad words:

Thanks go to the movie "Old School".

Last call! Grab a girl or the closest drink:

Ok, I stole this from The Reformed Broker! But what is better than elementary school ,kids doing a live "Enter Sandman"?:

That little girl plays a mean axe!

Have a good night.

6 comments:

Watchtower said...

Actually G was here before I was, he is your reader that has been with you the longest.
Maybe not the longest uninterrupted, but a tour with Uncle Sam would have a way of preoccupying a person I'd bet.

Take care G, and thank you for your service.

EconomicDisconnect said...

Watchtower, wish you had come to new england or in NYC this weekend, you are 100% pure class. My man!

The Sovereign Bohemian said...

Thanks for starting my weekend off on a good note.

This is the first time ever that I have listened to every post ( video, etc) in order. Usually by Friday night I pick the order depending on my mood.

Thanks, GYSC. You did good!

GawainsGhost said...

Some of us really appreciate the service our men and women in uniform perform. A Lt. in airborne special ops, that would be the Rangers, right? Wow, that's a hard unit to get into. Those guys are fearless. Stay safe, young man.

Anyway, yeah, Slade wrote that song, way back in 72. They were a relatively obscure band, because then it was difficult for most everybody to get exposure. Slade was one of the first wild bands. I mean, look at their costumes. No one dressed like that at the time.

I wouldn't call it glam rock (David Bowie and T. Rex started that). I don't know what to call it, because there's really nothing else like it, although Slade was influential.

Several bands have covered "Mama Weer All Crazee Now," including Quiet Riot and the Runaways, who titled an album after it. Check out their version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RTipAZuMRI

Still it's always interesting to go back to the original.

You know, for years I thought Linda Ronstadt wrote "Tumbling Dice," because the first time I heard that song on the radio her version was playing. It wasn't until I finally bought a copy of Exile on Main Street that I discovered it was a Stones song.

Now, that's an interesting story. The Rolling Stones had become tax exiles, fled England and built a mobile studio so they could record anyway in the world. Sticky Fingers was the first album they recorded on the Mobile Unit, and the first to have the tongue logo. Then came Exile on Main Street, which they recorded on the French Riviera. It is their most accomplished and least known album.

The reason why is because they had fired their manager, but he still held the rights to all their earlier songs. So when they released Exile, he released Hot Rocks, a greatest hits collection that supressed sales of their new album. Revenge, as they say, is a dish best served cold.

Have a great time in NY, GYC. Don't forget to visit the Metropolitan Museum of Modern Art and check out the Van Gogh. And if you go to Times Square, do me a favor and get a big pretzel from one of those street vendors, like on the cover of Steely Dan's Pretzel Logic. I've always wanted to do that.

Oh, and take pictures. I'll send you my review of Reckless Endangerment next week.

GawainsGhost said...

I forgot to mention this, but that guy Catch Me If You Can is based on, my mother met him.

Yep, he came down here and gave a speech to the Chamber of Commerce after he was released from prison. He went around the country on some sort of lecture circuit, talking about his exploits and how to guard yourself against them.

He's an interesting guy. Didn't go to law school, but became a lawyer. Didn't go to medical school, but became a doctor. Didn't go to flight school, but became a pilot. I mean, this is one smart guy.

On a side note, I guess it was about two decades ago, there was this realtor down here whose best friend got busted for DWI. So he went to court and impersonated a lawyer to defend him. Not only did he get busted, he lost his license and was severely fined. As Bugs Bunny would say, what a maroon.

EconomicDisconnect said...

Glad everyone liked the show!