Monday, October 22, 2007

Odds and Ends and a Note of Thanks

"That's no Moon, it's a Space Station!", Obi-Wan Kenobi upon seeing the Death Star
A few odds and ends while I think about tonight's blog entry. First off, last week a new Star Wars novel was released. It is called "Death Star" and is written by Michael Reaves and Steve Perry (not the one from the band Journey). I got it this weekend, and I am about 1/2 way through and the book is much better than I would have thought. Lots of great backstory on Grand Moff Tarkin and Darth Vader. The story is told from a mainly Imperial standpoint, and it also has great narration of the logistical nightmare the construction of the station was. A good read. The above picture is a photo of Mimas, one of the many moons of Saturn. It is almost a dead ringer for the Death Star, but it is actually a moon. And no, there were no close up photos of the moon before the Star Wars movie was made!
I would like to pass a note of thanks to Michael "Mish" Shedlock who runs the great blog Mish's Global Economic Trend Analysis. He is also a writer for the Minyanville site. In a post today, Mish references my post from Saturday:
To be mentioned by one of the "Blogfathers" (Mish's site, Calculated Risk, Minyanville) is a wonderful honor. I have read Mish's site for a very long time, and it has helped me tremendously in understanding economic issues. I hope this blog can help to add to the debate so as to give something back. Read Mish's post above, and he carries my point a bit further. I think he is spot on as usual. He also ends with a killer "Wargames" film reference.
Until I post tonight's missive, in thanks to the mention from Mish, I will close with a "Wargames" quote:
"Mr. Potato head, Mr. Potato head, back doors are not secrets!"
"Yeah but Jim your giving away all our best tricks!"
And yes, I just pulled that from memory, very sad.

No comments: